Thursday, August 12, 2010

Love

What is love? (haha, now I've got that Haddaway song stuck in my head) There are many different kinds of love: self-love, love for your friends, love for your parents, love of a significant other, love for your pets, love of your job or hobbies, etc. So what does that make love? I've heard that love is patient and love is kind, love does not boast, is not easily angered, is not rude or self-seeking. It also always trusts, protects, hopes and perseveres. So what happens if you are experiencing something that doesn't do one or more of those things? How can you never get angry with someone that you love? How can you ALWAYS trust someone that you love? I love my boyfriend, but I get angry at him sometimes. I love my parents, but I sure as heck don't trust them very much. Love is probably the most confusing emotion ever, I think.

I wish that I could love myself more than I do. If I loved myself, I would be more free to love others, like my boyfriend and my friends, etc. I think that loving myself means taking care of myself. It also means letting myself feel emotions, even if I don't like them. It means not overeating because I'm stressed. It means standing up for myself when I feel threatened or violated. It also means liking my body just the way it is.

This is going to be my goal of this semester of school. Here are my goals, in writing so I don't forget them.

Goal #1: Take care of myself (eat healthy foods, drink enough water, get enough sleep)
Goal #2: Be assertive and don't let myself get trampled on.
Goal #3: Ask for help when I need it.
Goal #4: Work hard at school but still take time for myself.

What are your goals? What do you think love is? Do you love yourself?

4 comments:

  1. I think taking care of yourself is a great goal along with asking for help, etc. These are all key parts of recovery. I'm glad you're taking these steps.

    last but not least, love yourself. love yourself for being human.

    stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your opening made me think of "A Night at the Roxbury", lol.

    Sounds like you have great goals, good luck with them, surely you'll do awwweeessssooommmme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you anything about love. I'm against it. Though, I guess I do love myself - but that might just be narcissism.
    Your goals are great. Good luck with them! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for writing this post on love. its wonderful.
    i totally wish i could love myself. and sooo true if i did love myself i could learn to love others and stand up for myself, and love myself, and just be proud of who i am and not put myself down as much and tell myself i wont ever be successful. if i loved myself though i wouldnt do that.

    ReplyDelete