Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's about feelings, not food

Eating Disorders Anonymous has this saying that I heard time and time again in meetings:

Recovery is about feelings, not food, but we can't reason or build trust when bingeing, purging or starving. 


I know this intellectually, but I find it hard to believe sometimes. When I'm eating, especially these days, I am not feeling anything in particular. I guess for me, eating is an escape from my feelings. My feelings are too much, and I don't want to deal with them. I think it started that way, at least, and now I just use food for everything (even if I can deal with it). For example, I was doing homework about 15 minutes ago, and the internet started acting up and wouldn't load anything. I got really frustrated, decided I wanted some chocolate, and ate a mini candy bar. That doesn't sound like a crisis, but I was not hungry and I didn't need the chocolate. I told myself that I was just killing time, waiting for the internet to come back again, but that's not true at all. I was frustrated, so I ate.

I eat for every emotion. If I'm happy, I eat. Bored? I am eating. Sad? Definitely eating. Angry? Food is my comfort. Stressed? FOOD!

It's completely ridiculous. I have to learn how to stop this cycle, because it's not productive. I'm supposed to be in recovery, yet I'm still using food to deal with my life. This is not how it's supposed to be.

Realistically, I recognize that this is a process and it's won't happen overnight. But seriously, why can't it?? I just want to be recovered! I want to skip all this emotional bullshit and get to the normal, healthy part. Yuck. Of course, it doesn't work that way, but I can wish.

This week, my goal is to honor my emotions instead of eating them. I will try to be conscious of what I'm putting into my mouth, and why. Hopefully I will be successful! I will take it one day at a time. Wish me luck! Stay strong <3

5 comments:

  1. it's true...it's hard as hell to deal with...but it's true

    hold tight. stay strong.
    xoxo
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, sweetie! I think the first part is recognizing this behavior, and admitting that you know you are eating when you really aren't hungry. You understand the reasons, and now you just need to work on it. It will take a while, as you know, but you will get there! I have so much faith in you :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I like that last part of honoring your emotions instead of eating them away. I never thought of it that way.. I totally eat when im sad..not when i'm pissed though. I starve myself when i'm mad.
    Congrats of realizing more and more about yourself and taking control! Love and support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. I have very strong emotions, and the only ways for me to deal with them are to cry or to eat. Neither one is very productive.

    ReplyDelete